Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Breathe

My wonderful daughter talked me into getting a full body message for Mothers Day.  It was better than I thought it would be.  As soon as the very petite woman with mans hands touched my neck I relaxed.  As she aptly palpated and soothed each muscle on my body the more I began to breathe.

As you probably know, living with chronic pain tends to make a person tense and anxious all day.  I was so thankful for the ability to float away and escape the pain for awhile.  As a result I slept ten uninterrupted hours!  Prior to last night I haven't slept more than four hours at a time.  Always waking up to exquisite pain around 3:00AM.

Massages are not for everyone and I recommend you talk to your doctor before considering having one.  (You will come to know this statement is my mantra, because I am a Registered Nurse and not a doctor,  I can not give you medical advice).

Other good modalities for reducing pain are, deep breathing, guided imagery, biofeedback and prayer or meditation.  These all release hormones that cause you to relax, which ultimately cause healing.  Believe me, I use them all!

When I say pain, I am speaking of spiritual, emotional and physical pain, because we are a whole being.   We are all spiritual, we all share emotions and we all walk in a physical body.   When we hurt emotionally our body responds with aches and pains.  When we hurt spiritually the world becomes gray, leaving us emotionally empty and disconnected from our physicality.  And when we are in physical pain it makes us emotionally and spiritually changed.

Deep breathing causes the release of the hormone, endorphin.  When I say deep breathing, I mean breath in slowly filling your lungs from the top of your chest to your upper abdomen and ending in your lower belly.  Breathe out even slower through pursed lips, slowly counting as you blow.   Do this three times.  Wait.  Don't read, do it now!  This may take some practice especially if you are very tense and not used to concentrating on your body in this way. You may feel a little lightheaded so don't stand up right away.  This feeling is the endorphin release or endorphin rush.

Endorphin is produced by the pituitary gland.  When it is released it gives us a warm fuzzy feeling.  Endorphins are produced when we eat, kiss, make love, exercise and even fight.  Have you ever been physically injured and not felt it right away?  In this case it is the release of the endorphin hormone that allows one to continue moving.  This is obviously designed for the completion of the fight or flight response we and animals share.  Endorphins are released when we are doing something that ensures our survival.  Aren't we wonderfully, beautifully made!

Guided imagery is used when a therapist guides you through your mind on a journey using mental clues to elicit visual, auditory, and olfactory responses.  The purpose is to take your mind off your pain issues and travel to a place in your mind that is safe and happy.  You can do this yourself.  In a quiet place close your eyes and let your mind relax.  Maybe start with a prayer or meditation.  Think of a trip you took or want to take.  Imagine everything, the sun, shining warm on your face,  the salty smell of the ocean, the sound of the waves crashing on the sandy shore.  Feel the wind blowing your hair and the sand between your toes.  Listen to the children's laughter.  Imagine yourself physically there.  Enjoy the soothing respite.  As you can tell my relaxation place is my favorite beach in Hawaii. 

Prayer and meditation have been used since the beginning of human history for pain, be it physical emotional or spiritual.  How often do we cry out to God when we are at a terribly low time in our life.  There have been many studies on prayer and the human brain.  With the advancement of medical imagery we have already discovered that during prayer and meditation there is a profound change in brain activity.   I know that God wants us to be silent and give our problems over to Him.  Whatever your belief system, know that your higher power is there wanting for you to call out and receive peace and relief from your pain.

Blessings to you today!

No comments:

Post a Comment